Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf

So I usually plan my meals in advance. My husband and I sit down on Saturday or Sunday and plan for the week what we will eat and then one of us goes to the supermarket. Tonight was going to be chicken wings with butternut squash and apples as a side dish. But when I opened the package of chicken they did not smell good, so in the garbage they went. Then when I opened the pre-cut squash they felt all slimy, so that also went in the garbage. This left me without a plan for dinner. Luckily earlier in the week I bought chopped meat because we were planning on having bacon cheeseburgers but went to dinner at my sister-in-law's house instead. That's where the bacon cheeseburger meatloaf came to be.

I have made bacon cheeseburger meatloaf once before when I was pregnant with my son, so about 4 years ago and it was a Paula Deen recipe and it was really good but also VERY fattening! This recipe is still not healthy but not as bad as the Paula Deen recipe.

1 lb ground beef (or you can use turkey or chicken if you prefer)
1 cup grated cheese (I used cheddar but you can use whatever you like)
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs
worcestershire sauce
2 strips of bacon

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix together the meat, egg, bread crumbs, and worcestershire sauce. Take 1/3 of the mixture and form into the base of the meatloaf, so kind of a rectangle. Make a well in the middle and put cheese in the well. Take the rest of the meat and cover the cheese, making sure that the sides are sealed together, you don't want your cheese to ooze out while cooking. Take bacon and cut it in half and lay it on top of the meatloaf. Bake in oven for about 20-30 min. The bacon will be nice and crispy and the cheese in the center will be oozy and melty. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment