Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lower Fat Alfredo Sauce

I wouldn't call this recipe low-fat due to the amount of cheese but it certainly is lower-fat than a traditional alfredo sauce.

1 lb pasta (I like to use any long flat noodle like fettuccine or pappardelle)
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
3/4 cups grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp kosher salt
Optional: sauteed spinach or steamed broccoli

Cook pasta according to directions.  Meanwhile in a large saucepan melt butter and whisk in flour creating a paste.  Slowly whisk in milk so that the liquid gets absorbed and the mixture stays thick.  simmer over low heat about 1-2 min.  Stir in parmesan cheese and salt.  If you sauteed spinach or  steamed broccoli, add in now.  Add pasta and coat with the sauce and serve.  YUMM!

I made this the other night with spinach which I sauteed with a little olive oil, garlic and salt.  I also used fresh pasta from Uncle Giuseppe's.

No comments:

Post a Comment