Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Rigatoni with Mushrooms, Chicken and Wine Sauce

I found this recipe and it looked really good so last night I decided to finally make it. Unfortunately my daughter, Leah, was being extremely cranky and whiny so I was cooking while holding her and listening to her whine and cry, which made me read the recipe wrong and instead of 1/4 cup of wine, I used 2 cups. I thought I had made a disaster but decided to just let the wine reduce a while longer and it turned out FANTASTIC! So my mistake ended up being a success. My husband even said he would prefer this dish to ordering in Italian, which is a BIG thing cause he would order from our favorite Italian restaurant pretty much every night if he had the option!
8 oz. rigatoni
2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1-2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
½ cup chopped onion
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced ( I buy them already sliced so I don't have to do it)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream (I used half and half, but heavy cream would be better)
1 tsp corn starch
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp. butter
Directions:
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, cook pasta and drain well.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts to the pan and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside. When cool enough to handle, cut into bite-size pieces.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan with the heat on medium-high. Add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Add the mushrooms to the pan and continue to cook about 5 minutes more. Mix in the garlic, then add the wine, scraping with a spoon to deglaze the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer, lower the heat to medium and continue to simmer until the liquid is reduced by about half. This may take about 15- 20 minutes. Stir in the cream and cook until heated through. (if the sauce is very liquidy and you prefer it thicker add in the corn starch to thicken) Add in the herbs, Parmesan and butter; mix until well blended and the butter is completely melted. Add the chicken back to the pan and then add the rigatoni and toss with the sauce. Top with a bit more parmesan cheese. It may seem that the sauce is a bit liquidy but the more it sits the thicker it will become.

No comments:

Post a Comment