Thursday, April 26, 2012

Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken- courtesy of Life as a Lofthouse

I made this for dinner tonight and OMG, it was amazing!  I came across this recipe on pinterest and wanted to try it for awhile, and since I forgot to set up my chicken in the slow cooker for a different recipe, I decided I would go for it tonight and I am so glad I did.  I didn't make the fried rice, instead I had the frozen Jasmine rice that I get from Trader Joe's and keep in the freezer.  This recipe comes from the awesome food blog Life as a Lofthouse.  In her recipe she uses chicken breasts but I used thighs because that is what I had in the house.  I also want to add that I tried this recipe with just cutting up the chicken and skipping the cornstarch and frying part, and it was very dry and not as good.

Ingredients:

For the chicken:
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 beaten eggs with a Tbsp water
1/4 vegetable oil

For the sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
4 Tbsp ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt- I didn't have garlic salt so I used a little garlic powder and salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cut chicken into small pieces and season with salt and pepper.  Coat chicken in cornstarch and then dip in egg.   Brown chicken in skillet with oil until it is nice and brown, but not necessarily cooked through.  When chicken is cooked put it into a large baking dish.  Whisk together the sauce ingredients and pour evenly over chicken.  Bake for an hour and toss chicken every 15 minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment